One of my favourite things to bake and give are muffins as my friends enjoy them so much. I typically have four flavours that I tend to bake and this is my favourite to eat and the aroma is just heavenly! It is a buttermilk muffin with orange zest throughout, a chocolate centre (melted when eaten warm) and a orange sugar top crust. Now you know why they are a favourite!
This recipe bakes 12 decent sized muffins. Decent size meaning the guys won’t complain!
Ingredients you will need are :
- plain flour (2.5 cups)
- baking powder
- eggs (2)
- buttermilk (1/2 cup)
- butter (60g)
- vegetable oil (1/4 cup)
- caster sugar (1 cup)
- vanilla extract
- orange for zest (half for batter and half for orange sugar topping)
- extra caster sugar (about 1/4 cup or enough to dust 12 muffins)
Baking time ….
- Whisk together 2.5 cups of plain flour, 2.5 teaspoons of baking powder and 1/2 teaspoon of salt.
- In a separate bowl, mix together 2 eggs, 1 cup of buttermilk, 1/4 cup of vegetable oil, 1 cup of caster sugar, vanilla, cooled melted 60g of butter and zest or half an orange.
- Combine both mixtures together and stir until just combined.
- Line a cupcake tin with cupcake liners/patty pans (handy if you have a 12 cupcake tin).
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees celcius.
- Use a standard ice cream scooper and place 3/4 scoop full of batter in each patty pan.
- Place some chocolate (I use 3 chocolate melts but you can use any chocolate) in the middle of each muffin.
- Top each with half an ice cream scoop of batter.
- Mix the extra caster sugar with the zest from the other half of the orange until the sugar is infused.
- Sprinkle each muffin liberally with the sugar. This gives it an amazing aroma and a yummy crunchy topping.
- Bake in the oven for about 15-20 minutes on centre rack. However keep an eye on them as they burn because of the sugar on top. Check with a cake tester/skewer/toothpick on the sides of the muffin (the centre is chocolate) to make sure it comes out clean.
- Try to wait a few minutes for them to cool down before tucking in! Enjoy!